a moving sidewalk of business suits
and ladder-climbing skirts
that end exactly where the knee does.
they march in sequence,
choreographed by a higher power
though clearly not high enough,
but what does navy blue know about god anyway?
we meander through the throngs.
their one-way conversations pass us by
as they scurry for cover in the rain.
cars honk and wipers whoosh away spontaneity
so we take the water route instead
and let the minutes tick away.
yes, it’s here on the seawall
that stories bob up and down
and laughter crests with the waves.
words roll and tumble along
like kids on a playground
and we pretend we’re on holiday.
but even we can’t beat
reality at its game.
inevitably the concrete leads
straight to a set of glass double-doors
where the dreams we share are
a tragically worthless masterpiece.
we punch in hard and fast,
as if we were punching someone out
but we’re lovers not fighters,
so we play games like couples do;
role plays and extended lunch dates
and craft lovely letters by company mail.
we design in our minds
and doodle in our notebooks
or tap out poems between meetings.
and at the end of the day
we defy the bosses
and baffle the corporate accountants
because our eight hours
add up to far more.
- @salmahayek Read your very moving piece in @nytimes. You're a shining light of inspiration, courage & strength; a p… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 days ago
- RT @KarenTamWoohoo: Great profile for #PassiveHouse in #YVR (DYK - we have biggest - for now in Canada & soon tallest in the world) https:/… 5 days ago
- #Tampon #Angel because there's a #Festivus for the rest of us! https://t.co/h4EyLaMTfz 5 days ago
- As the year draws to a close it's a good time to appreciate the #1stresponders who've kept us safe. #thankseveryone 5 days ago
- Ppl overstepping their job function. twitter.com/Lanefab/status… 5 days ago
- Kudos. twitter.com/ToddMichaelsen… 5 days ago
- Ugh. twitter.com/TreeHugger/sta… 1 month ago
- RT @CHBABC: CHBA BC is hosting the first of a two-part Net Zero Labelling Program training series by webinar this morning! Builders from 25… 1 month ago
- RT @Lanefab: Tomorrow: Passive house projects around the world are opening their doors as part of the International Passive House Days. Fro… 1 month ago
- RT @RDHBuildings: Results show that when temperature passes 80°C, EPS starts to shrink significantly compared to other materials. #CCBST201… 1 month ago
- @discothistle Thanks. Sounds like you have stories too. So many do; not my 1st choice of group to join but I guess we're in good company. 1 month ago
- Few read my tweets but for what it's worth, I offer these 3: Ian Erickson, Teacher. Wayne Reynolds, Cop. Don Bah, Family Friend. #MeToo 1 month ago
- July 2017
- November 2016
- October 2016
- April 2016
- November 2015
- October 2015
- May 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- July 2013
- May 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- February 2011